Sunday 17 April 2011

The Feisty Red

One thing I like to do is drink. Anyone who is not of legal drinking age in their country, look away now. Just stop reading. Close your eyes and navigate away from the page. In that order.

Are you gone?

Good.

As I said, I enjoy a nice drink every now and then. And as it's getting warmer up north (I know, who'd have thought it?), I've resumed making cocktails. They're just perfect for the summer, and I like to think they count as one of your five-a-day.* So without further delay, here's my recipe for the Feisty Red.

1 shot vodka
1 shot grenadine
1 shot tequila
3 strawberries, tops cut off, plus another for decoration.
Apple cider
Cherryade

Blend/crush the strawberries so they form a paste.
Add to the paste the grenadine, vodka and tequila.
Mix well in a cocktail shaker.
Pour into a glass.
Fill glass halfway with cider.
Top up with cherryade.
Add strawberry to the rim of the glass for decoration. Also doubles up as a tasty post-cocktail snack.

Notes:
-Measurements for alcohol don't have to be exact; I tend to just chuck the stuff in.
-If you can't get hold of grenadine, cherry liqueur will do the job.
-Experiment with the ciders; try it with a pear or berry cider, or mess with the strengths. I prefer a fairly sweet apple cider with a low alcohol content for this particular cocktail. If you're thinking of using strongbow, GTFO.
-If it's a REALLY hot day and you want some ice, either freeze some cherryade or cut up a pink freezepop to add to your cocktail.

*This should be closer to nine-a-day, but nobody understands what I mean when I say that.

P.S. Pictures of all my recipes will be added over the course of the summer, when I have access to a good camera that actually uploads stuff. At the moment, my camera refuses to connect to anything, and my phone camera doesn't exactly show things in the best light (as in, everything looks blue).

4 comments:

  1. MMmmm I love cocktails. What does 'GTFO' mean? As soon as I saw 'apple cider' I immediately thought of strongbow as it's one of the few I know are vegan... if not there's always scrumpy jack! :P

    I know what you mean by 9 a day! But, shamefully, I get nowhere near that so I've resorted to putting fruit and veg in cakes to try and up my count- I never thought of using cocktails, great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps, never mind I just looked up GTFO!!! What brand cider is best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cider of choice (in terms of well-established brands) has always been Brothers. All their varieties are vegan, and they've got a lot of really nice ones. Sometimes I use their strawberry & pear instead of the apple cider in this cocktail.

    Strongbow, whilst vegan, is vile :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen Brothers cider before... strawberry and pear sounds lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete